
Mehmed the Conqueror constructed this building as a hunting house in
1454. Ağa hamamı was designed as a hamam below the two flats above. It
underwent a large-scale renovation in 1844 by Abdulmecid (the 31st
Ottoman Padishah). It was used by the Padishahs and their sons until the
final years of the Ottoman Empire. Aga Hamami is first turkish bath in
Istanbul.
With the foundation of the Republic of Turkey in 1923, the
Ottoman Empire ended. In those days a Armenian woman bought the Ağa
hamamı and it first opened to public. She decided sold the Ağa hamamı to
Huseyin Yilmaz. Due to his old age, Huseyin Yilmaz sold it to his
nephew Ali Yilmaz in May 1974 after thirty four years of operation. The
last renovation was in 1986 by Ali Yilmaz. It serves only tourists mixed
hamam in Istanbul for over ten years.